In September, 1954 a small group of woman, led by Miss Dorothy Neyhart, met in the Fauquier National Bank Building to organize the Women’s Auxiliary of Fauquier Hospital with an objective of assisting the hospital in becoming the best health care facility possible. Immediately, and for the next fifty years, the challenge of recruiting new members began.
In March, 1955, the first Auxiliary fund raising project, the Thrift Shop, was established on Culpeper Street, selling donated goods and items. After occupying several locations, the shop moved to its present site on Main Street.
In 1959 the auxiliary began one of its most important and rewarding projects, the Nurse Scholarship Program. The program was expanded to include scholarships for all health care related fields and for boys as well as girls, and we continue that program today.
Over the years, the Auxiliary group has become very creative fund raisers beyond the initial efforts of the Thrift shop, Gift shop and Snack bar. They have instituted many new projects in the last 50 years both ongoing and one-time events to include, all kinds of product sales, auctions and raffles. In 1961 they held their first “follies” which was a community favorite for years until recently when they began their ever popular “Casino Night.”
The Lights for Life program began in 1983 and has grown every year. Airlie donated five Norway spruce trees, and we invited the community to purchase lights to remember loved ones. Every year, on the first Wednesday in December, we continue this tradition, at which time the trees are lit, and we honor a special person as the “Top of the Tree” for his/her contributions to the hospital and the Auxiliary. Visit the Lights For Life website for more information.
Today Fauquier Hospital Auxiliary, Inc. continues to make valuable contributions to the community; by providing health-related scholarships, award community health grants and provide support to Fauquier County cancer patients.